Ukiyo-e

Ukiyo-e is a Japanese style of painting or woodblock prints which was popular from the 17th, 18th ad 19th century. These paintings and prints were meant to depict Japanese beauty, poetry, nature and love among other things. While I personally do not love the shunga style (the Ukiyo-e depictions of sex) I do love many of the other themes and works. My main issue with the shunga style is that it depicts a very natural thing, , but often times the proportions are off and the perspective isn't consistent. This doesn't have to be an issue, but in this context I find it a little unsettling.

Katsushika Hokusai: Under the Wave off Kanagawa (also known as The Great Wave) (c. 1830-32)

One of my favorite works of art of all time is Under the Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai. This Japanese print was done sometime between 1830 and 1832. Ever since I was young I thought this work was quite interesting. I think from that young age it was the colors used. I love the choice of blues, it is so bright and clashes really well with the white foam. Looking at it now I also really like the lines curve all over the print. You really get the sense of the waves size even without the context of the boats.

This printing is taken from One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji, a series of illustrated books that illustrate over a hundred different views of Mount Fuji.

Utagawa Kuniyoshi: Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Specter from the Story of Utö Yasutaka (c. 1843-47)

Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Specter by Utagawa Kuniyoshi is a triptych that depicts a scene from the Story of Utö Yasutaka. It was done in Japan sometime between the years of 1843 and 1847. I absolutely love the way that the skeleton on the right takes up the entire panel. It makes him seem that much bigger, and makes him seem so creepy. I also like that it is drawn with a curve, conveying motion in the skeleton, adding to the horror. I also like the fact that the work is framed in a way that the conflict is happening solely in the center panel with the left and right dedicated to the "good" and "evil"  side.

Z0036614.jpg

Another favorite sub-style within Ukiyo-e is Kachō-ga, which means bird and flower paintings. I have always enjoyed depictions of birds and flowers, whether painted, drawn, or photographed. I specifically enjoy Duck in Snow by  Utagawa Hiroshige. This Japanese 1830's print depicts, surprisingly, a duck in snow. I really enjoy this and many other depictions of birds and flowers because of how simple they tend to be. They focuses on the subject while letting the background rest behind. I really like that the duck in this printing isn't drawn in a specifically graceful or regal pose. He is simply cleaning himself, something that you see whenever you would go to a pond, and I find that to be quite beautiful. I also like that the lines around his head and neck are done in a way that give it a hair like texture.

Links

“Ukiyo-e Japanese Prints Movement Overview.” The Art Story, www.theartstory.org/movement/ukiyo-e-japanese-woodblock-prints/.

Comments

  1. I really love all the paintings you chose. They are absolutely stunning and the colors, which have been used are so calming. The art from Utagawa Kuniyoshi is especially cool and do not just love the colors but also how he painted the skeleton. I looked into his other paintings and they are all amazing. He especially liked to paint warriors, women and whimsical animals and he was one of the last great masters of the Japanese ukiyo-e style of woodblock prints and painting. Great blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Influence WW1

Public Art

Art Nouveau and Impressionism